On a hot summer day the last thing we want to do is turn on the oven and spend hours making a meal. That’s when we reach for quick and healthy dishes which allow us to spend less time in the kitchen and more time enjoying the outdoors.
Los Angeles-based vegan chef, Meredith Baird is the co-author of Raw Chocolate, Everyday Raw Detox, and Plant Food. We recently had the pleasure of taking a peek into her kitchen where she shares one of our favorite no cook recipes for the summer, Jackfruit “Tuna” Salad Sushi.
Jackfruit “Tuna” Salad Sushi (Vegan)
For the jackfruit mix:
1 can jackfruit (drained)
1/2 cup Veganaise
2 stalks celery, chopped
Handful of parsely, chopped
Handful of cilantro, chopped
1 teaspoon wakame flakes, (optional)
1/2 lemon, juiced (optional)
Salt and Pepper to taste
To assemble the sushi rolls:
1 package nori sushi wrappers
2 cups prepared sushi rice
1 carrot cut into matchsticks
1 cucumber cut into matchsticks
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
Directions for the jackfruit mix:
- Mix all the jackfruit ingredients together (except for the salt and pepper) in a food processor.
- Shred until it resembles canned tuna.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
Directions to assemble the sushi roll:
- Place the nori on a bamboo sushi mat and spread 1/2 cup of prepared sushi rice on the nori.
- Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds over the rice. Place 1/4 of the jackfruit, 1/4 of the carrot and 1/4 of the cucumber on the rice, spreading it evenly.
- Roll the sushi (it might help to look at some Youtube videos).
- Unroll the bamboo mat and slice the sushi roll into eight pieces.
- Serve with soy sauce, ginger and wasabi if desired.
Sign Up for 15% Off Your First Order