On a hot summer day the last thing we want to do is turn on the oven and spend hours making a meal. That’s when we reach for quick and healthy dishes which allow us to spend less time in the kitchen and more time enjoying the outdoors.
Jackfruit “Tuna” Salad Sushi (Vegan)
For the jackfruit mix:
1 can jackfruit (drained)
1/2 cup Veganaise
2 stalks celery, chopped
Handful of parsely, chopped
Handful of cilantro, chopped
1 teaspoon wakame flakes, (optional)
1/2 lemon, juiced (optional)
Salt and Pepper to taste
To assemble the sushi rolls:
1 package nori sushi wrappers
2 cups prepared sushi rice
1 carrot cut into matchsticks
1 cucumber cut into matchsticks
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
Directions for the jackfruit mix:
- Mix all the jackfruit ingredients together (except for the salt and pepper) in a food processor.
- Shred until it resembles canned tuna.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
Directions to assemble the sushi roll:
- Place the nori on a bamboo sushi mat and spread 1/2 cup of prepared sushi rice on the nori.
- Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds over the rice. Place 1/4 of the jackfruit, 1/4 of the carrot and 1/4 of the cucumber on the rice, spreading it evenly.
- Roll the sushi (it might help to look at some Youtube videos).
- Unroll the bamboo mat and slice the sushi roll into eight pieces.
- Serve with soy sauce, ginger and wasabi if desired.